Monday, November 7, 2011

SF Tourist

On Saturday we decided to head downtown to run a few errands and see if we could hit anything on our San Francisco bucket list. It seems like we live in a different San Francisco than the famous one of colorful victorian houses and cable cars. Don't get me wrong, I like the west side of the city - it's very diverse and family and locals-oriented - but I feel like I haven't seen much of what is famous about the city.

Steve and Grace waiting for the Muni.
Where is it?

There it is!
We did a little shopping on Market and then headed over to the Apple store to replace the bumper on my phone. Anyway, while I was deliberating over the choices (I ended up with gumdrop blue and while I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse, it also kind of makes me laugh), Grace spotted the iPads. It was a low table and the iPads were loaded with kids apps and she instinctively seemed to know what to do. I think we've created a monster here...
Once we pried her away, we continued up to Union Square and Macy's to stop at Boudin's for clam chowder in sourdough bread bowls. I don't know if this is really a big San Francisco thing, but I've heard people talk about it forever as one of their favorite traditions so it seemed appropriate. Plus, it accommodates toddler manners pretty well and was perfect for a blustery fall day.

After lunch we started walking - we were aiming for the famous stretch of Lombard street and then the wharf. We walked the cable car route for a while - one of these days we are going to take cable car ride.
We stopped on Nob Hill...
Grace and Steve in front of Grace Cathedral.

Then we made our way over the next couple of hills to Lombard. At the top, there were a bunch of people in Facebook jackets. I wanted to ask one of them to be my friend, but I refrained. I wasn't sure they would find me as amusing as I find myself. We picked our way down - Grace was asleep and I had forgotten that much of the way the sidewalk is actually steps. Tourist central, but the views were still great.
The last time I was here was in 1999 with Steve. I don't think I would have predicted then that 12 years later we would be living in San Francisco and be parents to the world's most fabulous child.

We wandered over past Ghiradelli Square to the Fisherman's Wharf.
Grace woke up just in time to see the sea lions (you can't see them here because of our big heads).

I love the view north and west from down there, but the storm was a little ominous.

We walked back along the Embarcadero, arriving at Market just as an Occupy SF march was starting. We walked along side for a while - Grace was quite interested in the chanting. I'm glad the naked guy did not make it into the photo. I'm not sure exactly how nudity fits into the movement nor the clearly evident pot, but it seemed to be a peaceful event, though a little smaller than I would have expected for San Francisco.
It turned out to be a really great day, totally spontaneous and lots of fun to hit a few famous sites.

1 comment:

  1. Looks so fun! I can't believe how grown up Grace looks :)

    ReplyDelete