But I do know that last Tuesday, he started walking. And then Tuesday, two days ago, he was home with me all day and walked more than he crawled. I cannot get over the sight of him walking away or walking toward me. I hear pat-pat-pat coming down the hall, and then his little head pokes around the corner. He did the same as a crawler, but it's just so different now. He walks with his arms up in the air and a grin on his face, and I think he would like applause for every step he takes. He is so very pleased with himself, and I love to see him perfecting this new feat, but already I miss the crawling. My baby is turning into a toddler before my eyes, and then I won't have a baby anymore.
Instead of blogging, I'm trying to use my free moments to kiss his head and eat his cheeks. I hope that when he feels slighted for the poor record, he remembers in some subconscious way how much time we spent just enjoying his deliciousness.
He turned one (almost two months ago!). I intended to write all about his birthday and post a video of us singing to him and his reaction to his cupcake. But I didn't. I have the video, and we will watch it with him over the years, just as we watch videos of Grace with her. But I may or may not find the time to post it, and I'm going to stop feeling guilty about it.
Here are a few more Henry highlights as he is now just shy of 14 months:
- He basically hates all food except crackers, bagels, cheese, goldfish, yogurt, applesauce, mac-n-cheese, bananas, cereal bars, peas, chicken, french fries, and milk. Oh, and the rare time he gets ice cream, he likes that. His pediatrician just said to give him vitamins. Not only does he hate all food, he flings it off his highchair tray. With profound indignation. Tonight, for instance, he was stuffing quesadilla in his mouth with one hand while righteously throwing another piece with the other hand. He will do the same with his water cup - take a drink, but once he's done, he must throw it on the floor. The thing that really drives me bananas about the food thing is that he used to try all sorts of things, and with each passing day seems to eat fewer things. Plus, I know he would like peaches if he would just try them before throwing them!
- He is so toddler. If you try to thwart his pursuit of danger, he screams and kicks and tantrums. It's so classic as to be hilarious and cute.
- One night recently, he climbed into the bathtub with Grace, while in his clothes. A bit later, he was climbing into the dishwasher.
- The dishwasher - he loves it. He loves to sort the silverware, especially.
- He really likes to sort things and put lids on and off of containers.
- He has discovered the child-sized chairs and a step stool. He can spend ages climbing on and off, standing up and sitting down.
- He loves to cook in the play kitchen. He opens and closes the cupboards and moves everything around endlessly. Most diaper changes are accomplished while he cooks.
- Diaper changing a one-year-old is a harrowing feat. I vaguely remembered chasing Grace around to diaper her, but forgot how fun it is!
- He loves to wave at people, and if you're holding him on your hip while doing something, he will swing his face around in front of you and say "haaa" (we think this is "hi").
- His words:
"a-doh" or "a-doh-doh-doh-doh-doh": all done (really, get me out of this highchair, stroller, carseat)
"uh!": up
"haaaa": hi
"dah dah": usually it's something like "that" to indicate he wants to get his hands on something
Occasionally, he makes sounds that make us think he knows some of our names. But then he doesn't for a long time and we start to worry/obsess.
My word, we adore him. He is such a love.
At risk of losing all my readers by the length of this post, I'm going to keep going because I'm on a roll (and the fire alarm going off in the building seems to have stopped...). Not only did Henry turn 1 recently, Grace turned 5. FIVE. I just cannot believe my little baby girl is now a girl, a girl with a life of her own. She comes home bubbling over with stories of school and her friends and their games. She has fears and a temper and a strong sense of justice and a curiosity that overwhelms me at times and keen observational skills that stop me in my tracks and a smile that lights up her face and a laugh that's contagious. She can be so unbelievably kind and thoughtful. And she can be very willful and stubborn. She challenges me as a parent and a person in ways that are deeply humbling. I understand, now, why so many real bloggers stop writing so much about their kids around this age. She is her own person, and this is my blog. I can say whatever I want about myself, unfiltered, but I ought not trespass on her privacy. I love her like crazy, and she delights us with her singing and dancing and imagination and compassion and zest and enthusiasm to learn new things. And my word, she's hilarious with a fabulous sense of humor. And somehow she is FIVE!
In a few days, we will mark a year since moving to Boston. I still miss San Francisco. Steve is winding down his fellowship and gearing up for the next one. My job is driving me crazy. We are thinking a lot about what's next, but feeling so in limbo. I have a long post drafted on that, but I'm not sure when I will be ready to proofread and post it. It's all very complicated - what's next, what will it mean for our life, who we will become, and who our children will become? I want to live here, now, because it's all we have (luckily children make it so much easier to be in the moment), but I cannot push away the recognition that here is so very temporary, and although we become more connected here with each day, we also come closer to moving on.
And that is a couple months' blogging in one post. If I never do post the pix from Dad's visit or from our wonderful extended family reunion visit, it's not because I didn't cherish the time. It's because life is full of living. And chasing a naked baby. And picking up bits of food. And catching the remote just before it lands in the toilet.
No comments:
Post a Comment