that we don't know yet. He has several irons in the fire. Good options, all. Confirmed, nothing And now that the holiday season is winding down (and I have to figure out how to store the new toys without making any long-term storage plans), the giant unknown is haunting me. And that's a post in itself.
I intended this to be about Christmas! And so, it will be. We really enjoyed the season this year, and I have more pictures on my phone that I want to share soon (Santa arriving by helicopter in the North End!). Because my husband is a machine (in a good way) who plans everything to a t, we finished our shopping the first week of December and were able to enjoy the festivities - like sitting by the tree, wrapping presents and listening to Christmas music and chatting after the kids were in bed. Or making cookies and fudge for fun without any rush, wander the streets counting Christmas decorations. enjoy holiday parties without feeling any frenzy. The last few years, honestly, I have felt so rushed that the season passed me by, and this year I think we hit the right balance. But for now, I just have photos of Christmas Eve and Day.
On Christmas Eve, I finished work early and Grace and I went ahead to church to get good seats without making Henry sit a moment longer than necessary. We got soaked on the way there, but then we got to sing carols with the choir and it was wonderful. Afterward, we came home, getting further soaked, and tried to take a family photo. I think 100 were actually taken... and these are the best.
After dinner, the kids opened their new pjs and books from Rudolph. Their book was the Smell of Christmas (or similar), a scratch-and-sniff book that Bucket and I had as kids and loved. My mom still has it, but all the smells are gone from overuse, and now my kiddos have one, which delighted them just as much as I remember.
Mailing envelopes make great hats.
Scratch-and-sniff.
And the children slept until 6:30 AM! This was good, because nothing says Christmas Eve like a few episodes of Serial, so Steve and I were tired... Boy were the kids jazzed! Not pictured are the scones, coffee, and new (turkey) bacon recipe wherein you rub brown sugar on it and cook under the broiler and then feel only a smidgen guilty while you inhale it.
After gifts, the kids played, I cooked, and we took a walk in the balmy weather. The kids took their new umbrellas and were unbelievably cute playing Mary Poppins. A friend whose family was out of town joined us for the afternoon and dinner (and having his undivided attention was a gift in itself to the kids), and we took no more pictures. Because memories are all we need. And living in the moment.
We are still listening to Christmas music and eating fudge and enjoying the glow of the tree because we party until the Epiphany! Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment