Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Vacation: hikers

Monday we hit the road for Mt. Baker, aiming for Artist's Point to hike. At the ranger station, we learned the temps were likely to be in the 40s so we opted for a lower trail toward Hannegan Pass instead. This was the second time I'd hiked there, and ohmigosh do I love it. The canyon is indescribably beautiful. The leaves were changing (after living in New England we had all but forgotten that other places get beautiful fall color also) and the water falls running. I took around a million pictures of basically the same thing because every bend in the trail revealed another gorgeous angle. I think Steve did the same thing on the return trip when we traded baby backpack for camera.

I'm pretty sure Steve is contemplating how to convince us that we can make it to the snow.
Had enough of the mountain scenery? It's just so devastatingly beautiful there.

Grace has gotten to be a much better "passenger" on hikes, although she does love to yank my hair when I carry her. This results in some awesome hairstyles for me as I try to get all my hair under a baseball cap. I guess Grace got pretty worn out, or else was very excited to get home and play with the trains, because she was delighted to get back to the car.
Mark and I found some of our old Brio train sets in the attic so we set them up for Grace. She had recently become quite thrilled by trains, and whenever she sees one will yell "treh!" This is especially entertaining when we happen to be driving down a street with a trolley because every block produces another screaming, delighted "treeeeh! oh, treeeh!" So Grace was very happy to play trains with her Uncle Mark, although she would not let anyone else's train go near the roundabout. A bit territorial, that one. Or maybe we were just playing wrong - it's a frequent offense.
Choo-choo! (actually, that's too-too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment