Saturday, August 6, 2011

Party weekend

Big fun times last weekend because Cousin Katy got married! Or, as Grace puts it "got married, all done". We headed out to Pleasanton Saturday morning and headed immediately for the hotel pool since it was just our second day of summer. Once we convinced Grace to wear her floaties and taught her how to jump into the pool, she had quite a good time playing with GoGo, Bucket (she is still calling my brother Bucket with clear conviction and diction; that train is long gone) and Lindee.
After naps (Steve and Grace) and a quiet hour reading Bossypants in the sun (me), we left for the wedding. It was a lovely ceremony and so grounded in Katy and Anthony's faith and love for each other. Grace was doing so well and was pretty quiet... until the vows. All churches should have crying rooms so you can hear the action while no one else can hear your kid because at least I got to hear the ring part of the ceremony by going into the crying room!

What a joy to be able to celebrate the marriage of two such special, wonderful people. We love you guys and hope you're having a fabulous time on Maui!
The whole extended fam.

The smaller gang.

Just us.

The reception was so elegant and fun. Grace especially loved the dancing. However, she would only dance with me holding her. I tried to bribe her with cupcakes so I could take a break and she kept pointing back at the dance floor and yelling "dance!" I don't think there was a dry eye in the house during the father-daughter dance - you go, Uncle Hilary!
And we grabbed a few moments with the bridge and groom. We swore that this would be the one night for no Giants/Dodgers trash talk, but Anthony started it... And can we take a moment to note what a beautiful bride Katy is?

The two year old rock star put in an appearance.

Grace was there to help with the dress selection so I believe she is confirming with Katy here about the perfect choice.

Sunday morning we headed over to brunch at Aunt Kristie and Uncle Hilary's. It was such a treat to sit in the sun and enjoy time with everybody. We were so content and lazy that the only pictures we managed to get were of Grace and Jessie playing in the waterfall. She was drenched so rocked the cardi and diaper look while Katy and Anthony opened gifts.

GoGo, Bucket and Lindee hit the road north, and we had a hard time tearing ourselves away, but had to get across the bay to Burlingame to a farewell shindig for Emily and Adam. I am so excited for them as they set off on a new adventure, and a bit envious if I'm honest, but I'm so sad that they are leaving!
Comparing Sox caps with Adam.

Final sendoff. I do not like this part.

Notwithstanding the whole good-bye to Emily part, it was such a good (and warm) weekend. And a wonderful break to reconnect with the family and friends for such a important occasions! All the pictures here.

This picture has nothing whatsoever to do with last weekend, but i never got around to posting it... we tried to go hiking a couple of weeks ago in Tennessee Valley. Instead we were so soaked from the fog that we gave up halfway to the beach and went home to huddle under blankets. This is just further illustration of what summer fog in SF really means (and it does not lift like the San Diego marine layer, lest anyone be similarly dismayed as I continue to be).

2 comments:

  1. That is a great family photo of you three!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate you look gorgeous in that wedding picture. What a splendid color and fabulous dress on you! Miss you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete