The good thing about Grace's school interrupting our vacation was that we were able to fit in a trip to see my aunt and uncle in Connecticut. I had feared we wouldn't get down to visit them until winter, but with Grace's early dismissal on Friday and Steve being off work, we jumped in the car (again).
After one of those ridiculous drives that takes way longer than it should and suddenly it's 8PM not 5PM, we got to their house (after visiting a number of their neighbors' homes searching for the right driveway - good thing we have a hybrid so no one heard us) in time to keep the kids up way past bedtime and catch up with Aunt Mary and Uncle Matthew (or GUM - Great Uncle Matthew; perhaps should be GAM and GUM?).
After an excellent breakfast of pancakes and omelets (you cannot visit them without eating extremely well) Saturday morning we headed into Manhattan. We spent most of the day on the Upper East Side, starting at the Met. I love that place... Grace was a little underwhelmed by it all, but Steve and I could wander there for hours.
After our short museum visit, we picked up some great tacos on Lexington (the yelp review described the place as hipster chipotle, which was so accurate; worked for us, though, because we wanted yummy and fast). We then headed over to Central Park to investigate playgrounds, the boat pond, Bethesda Fountain and the carousel. The weather was perfect and the park filled with tourists, locals, brides and grooms having wedding pictures taken, street artists and musicians. I could people watch in New York for hours. We wrapped up the day with a quick stop at FAO Schwarz, then picked up cupcakes at one of the Magnolia locations (I know - cupcakes are over, and it's kind weird not to go to the original Magnolia, but so it goes; and they still tasted good). We then walked the 27 blocks back to the car just in time to hit the traffic from the Yankees/Red Sox game. I love seeing the fancy (and so many chain) shops give way to the neighborhood businesses that serve all the people who live there as you head north. Every time we visit Manhattan Steve and I debate whether we would want to live there... would be a blast, I'm sure.
Saturday night, Mary and Matthew had grilled an fabulous feast, which we ate poolside. I love summer evenings outside. I missed them so much in SF and even in Boston, since our apartment doesn't have outdoor space, it's still a treat to just relax outside. After dinner, we went to a nearby ice cream shop because Frank, the dog, wanted his pup-cup. Ok, and the rest of us wanted ice cream, too. I will have to post the video of Frank eating his ice cream cone later along with the rest of the pictures from the weekend, including one of Grace with an ice cream cone as large as her head (I never have the cord to pull pictures from my phone when I need it).
We spent Sunday playing with Frank (Henry was quite smitten, and I think wanted to put Frank in his mouth), playing at the town park, swimming and relaxing.
What a wonderful end-of-summer-hurrah. Giant thank you to Aunt Mary and Uncle Matthew!
Although it's supposed to be 90 on Wednesday, you can feel the change of seasons in the air. I love fall, but dread the winter to follow so I have mixed feelings. For now, I will think about apple picking, the start of Grace's soccer league, and the back-to-school feeling of ending maternity leave next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment