Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Laugh so hard you cry

There's nothing I can say about Robin Williams's heart-breaking death that hasn't been said by someone else, better and more appropriately. I feel weird acting as if it's even appropriate for me to say something - I did not  know him. But he made everyone laugh, and that's beautiful, so I suppose taking a moment to acknowledge his passing is not so strange.

Here are a couple of things on my mind:

- A friend posted this, and the following passage (plus the two following paragraphs) is sticking with me:

"He is standing quietly against a wall, a look of discomfort etched on his face. Onstage, you couldn’t take your eyes off him. He was relentless. It was impossible to not feel his impact.
Offstage, he is Boo Radley — hugging the corner, hidden, uncomfortable."
- Addiction and mental illness. If someone like him could be overpowered, does it shed some light and compassion on the battles of "regular" people a bit more?

- Robin Williams doing "Martha Graham, Martha Graham!" in The Birdcage. I love Graham-style, and to me it will always be inextricably linked to his Martha Graham.

RIP, God-willing he has found some. And tg for the internet's supply of videos to keep us laughing. Till we cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment