Sunday, November 16, 2008

Boy or girl...?

Early on we started to think that the baby would be a boy. I'm not really sure why - just gut feeling I guess, but it's also hard to know how much we've been influenced by the not so gender neutral name Smaldo. I have used the ancient Chinese fertility calculator, which predicts a boy, and checked out the old wives tales online (http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/pbabyprep/0,,j012,00.html, among others).

I think my morning sickness was relatively mild (I felt awful, but luckily it stopped there) and the baby's heart rate has been higher than 140bpm. Hard to say where the weight is yet, but I have been craving protein. My pillow faces northeast, I think (but really, if we moved the bed, would the baby turn into a girl?), Dad-to-be doesn't have time to eat, so he can't gain weight with me. People have been telling me that my hair looks better than normal, and I've had headaches. When I add my age to the month of conception, it's an odd number. My wedding ring swings in back and forth and then in circles (I refuse to think about the implications of this). I always crave fruit, especially citrus. Although yesterday I did buy a big box of satsumas (hurray for the holiday season!) and I've made a dent in eating them already. All this suggests that maybe Smaldo is a girl, or maybe a boy.

What do you think? Did any of you moms out there just know it? Were you right?

We're supposed to find out in two and a half weeks, as long as the baby shows us "the goods" as the nurse put it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm no help because my instincts are horribly wrong - I just *knew* emma was a boy. :-P (fwiw: her heartrate was always over 140).

    I can't believe you're so close to finding out already!!

    Ditto Ginny on the Bob Revolution. Had I done it all over again, would've gone with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a definite girl vibe from you. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Audrey was a boy, though she did have a consistently high heart rate. I hoped that Alyssa would be a boy, but right before my ultrasound, I had a strong feeling she was a girl. I think the Lord was preparing me, so it wouldn't be such a disappointment. Especially since the genetic counselor came out and gave us scary info. (FYI: Don't freak out if that happens to you. It ended up being very unnecessary, but they always prepare you for the worst!). As far as strollers go, my choice was always the hand-me-down special, so I'm not such a resource. I've heard excellent things about Bobs however. Can't wait to find out "Smaldo's" gender!!

    ReplyDelete