The first time Steve met my family, we surprised him with a birthday cake. It was September, his birthday is in March. This was to get him back for embarrassing me on my birthday in front of his family, and a tradition was born. We did it again, this time in June, the first time he met my mother's extended family. And it escalated.
So, when we were planning our vacation and I realized we would be with the same extended family, plus a bunch of friends, just a week after his birthday, I figured it would be the perfect time to break out another cake. It has been years since any of the extra birthday celebrations so I was sure it wouldn't cross his mind. I enlisted Ashley's help in getting a gaudy cake and we were set.
Then, a week before the trip, literally out of the blue, he said, "there won't be a cake at Hilary and Kristie's, will there?" I was so surprised he'd come up with it that all I could do was sputter about how ridiculous that was and try to act bewildered. Fail.
However, I told Aunt Kristie, and she got a decoy cake...
And it worked, because he was totally surprised when this cake appeared the next night!
So then, when I called to make our lunch reservations at Disneyland and they asked if there were any special occasions being celebrated, I couldn't help but mention his birthday. It just popped out! Steve was extremely relieved that it only involved a small sundae and no singing.
How could anyone be upset about free dessert?? Mmmmmm.
ReplyDelete