(This is a lie in the blog-o-verse. I'm dating it for the day I wrote it since otherwise it doesn't make sense. And because I'm too lazy (busy!) to rewrite it. Sorry, internet.)
I went to Boston on Tuesday to attend events and an Advisory Board meeting for an organization that supported some of my work in graduate school and has since exposed me to a world of incredible leaders and change-makers in the social entrepreneurship and citizen leadership spaces. I'm writing this from the flight home, and I return both energized and inspired.It is so hard sometimes to maintain enthusiasm when trying to just keep up with the day to day routine not to mention the tremendous amount of political nonsense at work. My job is intense and demanding and highly political, and we're doing some really hard things, but I return rejuvenated to try to remember the broader context of doing what is right for the taxpayers (that's you!) and not get stuck so much in the petty minutiae. Here's hoping I maintain this until at least noon on Monday!
Not only am I psyched to put all this inspiration to work, I also spent the last three days reconnecting with an old life and community and loving it. It is no secret that we miss Boston like crazy. I could see our old 'hood as the plane landed and felt right at home heading for the T and smelling its distinctive MBTA smell. I got to have dinner with Sarah and Anna at Figs - it was so great to catch up on their lives. I slept in the next morning and did a little shopping on Beacon Hill and then met Amy and Lily for coffee at Pace's where we used to meet and get coffee for our walks all the time. It was Lily's second birthday, too! I can't believe she has become a little girl - it was bittersweet to see how she's grown. I met her when she was two months old and then saw her at least once a week for a year and now she's all grown up. I took my old train out to Brandeis and had lunch with Jeff, so my ego is now appropriately back in check. Then, I got to attend these amazing events and meet some incredible people.
After the lecture, I got stay the night at my mentor's home (after making our way through the SNOW!!!) and her eight year old gave me a lesson in musical theory. We stayed up late talking over wine about how to balance changing the world with having a family. She is supposed to figure it out and tell me what to do. Had the advisory board meeting today (at which I took too many action items - when will I learn?) and then headed back to the airport.
It was a whirlwind trip, and not exactly a vacation, but it was a really wonderful treat to take a bit of time out of my real life and away from responsibilities to nourish relationships and my soul and be surrounded by people with both the passion for and action to make a difference. It's an honor to give back, in small, ways to this organization that has been so meaningful and inspiring to me. Plus it was soooo good to be back in Boston!
Huge, ginormous thank you to my dad for staying with Grace while I was away since Steve's work and call schedule meant we needed a lot of extra coverage. Plus, Grace loves to spend time with Pop!
I missed Grace while I was away, but was relieved that she was perfectly happy without me there. I can't wait to go peek in at Grace as she sleeps when I get home tonight.
I love this post! I love the picture and all the boston references. We miss it much too. Thanks for the memories!! and glad you are finding a way to balance work and family. Your inspirational! I'm not there yet :).
ReplyDelete