It was kind of fun to have Independence Day in the middle of the week this year. Steve and I had been in LA helping his mother the previous weekend while GoGo stayed with Grace. We flew down Saturday morning, ran errands and packed, moved and unpacked things all day Saturday and part of Sunday, and then drove back Sunday afternoon. So we were exhausted and relieved that we only had to get our game faces on for two days. Plus, it was the first full day the three of us had together without anything going on in a while and we needed it.
Grace had been clamoring to walk across the Golden Gate Bridge since the bridge's birthday celebration at the end of May. When the weather was good on the 4th, we headed to try it. Such a fun way to get outside and enjoy the spectacular scenery. However, by "walk", Grace meant "ride in the ergo." I hope you'll forgive me, today - sometimes I just can't pick among the pictures. This is one of those days.
After our walk, we headed home for a lazy afternoon of naps and cooking (Bittman's oh so good sweet potato salad and the triple berry pie receipt Megan found years ago and I continue to make every summer). In the evening, we went over to barbecue with our dear friends. The chill had crept in after a beautiful day, but it was still great.
These two crack me up. As they were both sitting at the table, eating and talking, I commented on how amazing it is how they've changed since we met them. Grace could barely walk and Lizzie was just shy of 2. For at least a year one of them always ended up hurt whenever we got together. Now, they delight in each other's company.
Grace also loves to play with baby Emily. Aren't the three of them so cute? Too bad I couldn't convince Grace to wear her blue pants. I guess she was being Canadian?
Against our collective better judgment, we took all the kids out at bedtime to see the fireworks from Ghirardelli Square. It was a mob scene but we got the last patch of grass. Thankfully, Jane-the-genius and much more with it mom, had brought glow bracelets and necklaces, which made for great entertainment during the long wait as well as glowing when we were walking through the crowds.
By the time the fireworks started, all the kids seemed pretty mellow and I think Lizzie even got the munchies - pretty sure it was from all the smoking around us. Oh well, they are San Francisco kids. The fireworks were awesome - especially cool over Alcatraz. Grace loved it. We had a long, steep hike back up to the cars (again with Grace in the ergo - more pie for me!). Such a fun day. I think we would all be so much more productive if we always had a midweek holiday. Or happier at least.
Happy Belated Birthday, America.



No comments:
Post a Comment