Friday, July 20, 2012

Pomp and Circumstance

In mid-June, Steve's division held their annual graduation party.  It's not really a graduation, but all the fellows (at varying stages of training - sub and sub-sub specialty) and their families attend along with the faculty and there's good food and they give out certificates and awards.  It was pretty fun and a nice event, but a little goofy because they had Steve's cohort get certificates for finishing their clinical training (though most of them will have further clinical training for the sub-sub specialty training) although next year they will all really graduate when the finish the program.  Nevertheless, I will gladly  put on a dress and make small talk and eat/drink well anytime someone wants to congratulate Steve on how hard he's worked because he deserves it (even if they did give him someone else's certificate).  Grace also had a great time, although for her the event was all about seeing her friend Lizzie and she refused to do anything (eat, mingle, be polite) until Lizzie showed.  

All (well, most) snark aside, Steve has been in the most malignant program for his specialty (and that's what other people have told me, people not even in his program; and malignant is doctor-trainee code for horrible).  So even if it's funny that they "graduate" when they aren't done, it's awesome! that he is done with the clinical years.  These two years have been harder on him and our family than any part of internship/residency.  We are so excited that he will never have another "Moffit weekend" and there's no more q2 call at the General.  Now he's doing his easy "research" year, which he will use to do a bunch of non-compulsory clinical work just for kicks along with his research.  It was kind of funny/awkward because at the dinner, his program director said to me "oh, you know it gets much easier from here on."  And I couldn't help saying "Really?  I've heard that before."  And I wanted to add "you do remember he's doing not one but two more fellowships, right? And then he will have a career with a lot of call."  But I didn't say that last part!  I was polite!


Anyway, here are the pictures.  This is the most "official" one I got - someone was bouncing a baby and kept popping into my shot when he actually got his (well, someone else's) certificate.


Handing off the chief's torch... that was fun and the trip to Hawaii was great, but glad he's done with that gig!


 We made it!

Grace testing out Steve's special, new stethoscope after she helped him open his award gifts.  I think it's hilarious that it's almost as long as she is tall!  (Incidentally, she recently said "Daddy's a doctor and Mommy's an office!")
 
 

Congratulations, Steve!  I'm so proud of you, even if I sometimes sound a little bitter.  I know you're the best doctor in the world and would totally want you to be my doctor if that wasn't illegal.  


1 comment:

  1. Congrats, you guys! Grace is getting so big and such a beautiful doll. Love the family picture.

    ReplyDelete