Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Chatting with Gracie

A few recent "conversations" with Grace.

She was walking on the couch while Steve and I were both in the kitchen cooking with our backs turned.  Steve turned around, saw her... 
Steve:  What are you doing!?
Grace:  (wide-eyed silence)  
Steve:  You do not stand on the couch, right?
Grace:  Yes, I do.
Steve:  No.
Grace: You weren't supposed to be looking at me! 

Grace and I were on the bus home one night and I was asking about her friends at school.
Me:  Did you play with Isabelle?
Grace:  She's on vacation.
Me: Was Finn there?
Grace: No, he's on vacation.
Me:  Did you see Ronen?
Grace:  He's on vacation.
Me:  Wow, it must be summer - everyone is on vacation.
Grace:  No!  Only three of them!

Someone at school must say "No way, Jose!" because Grace has picked it up.  But instead she says "No way, you say!"
At dinner one night, Grace asked me if she could have a lollipop.
Me:  No.
Grace:  Daddy, can I have a lollipop?
Steve:  No.
Steve:  Grace, you know, Mommy and Daddy usually agree.  So, if you ask us both the same questions, we'll say the same thing.
Grace, very solemnly:  That makes me sad and frustrated.

A few weeks ago, Grace was bouncing off the walls and I was trying to get her attention.
Me:  Grace, look at me, just look me in the eyes and listen.
Grace looks at me, and I begin to speak.
She then sticks her thumbs in her ears, wags her fingers and sticks out her tongue.
She was looking right at me exactly as I had asked...  (and lest you think I've lost my sense of humor in trying to reason with a three year old, I gave up at the point and just laughed).

No comments:

Post a Comment