I guess it's alright that this image is giant and I can't resize it because this book was that good. Both Ways is the Only Way I Want It is a collection of short stories that I received for Christmas (so, a violation of my book project), and it was wonderful. I had to pace myself not to read all the stories in a day or two but instead to savor each one and mull over it. Most of the stories take place in the American West, many in Montana. Each is told from a different voice and all leave the reader thinking and moved. I don't read a lot of short fiction, maybe 1 or 2 short story collections a year, and this time I realized what is so amazing about it. For each tale, the author has to create characters the reader cares about and create a back story to set the drama, then have a climax and conclusion (hello, third grade language arts class) that is meaningful, all in just 20 or so pages. Much more difficult than a novel to say so much in so few words and have a reader care. I will now have to track down Maile Meloy's other work. And you should be looking for a copy of Both Ways is the Only Way I Want It.
No comments:
Post a Comment