In the midst of all the hullabaloo of travel and moving and getting resettled in San Francisco, a rather significant accomplishment was a bit overlooked. STEVE FINISHED HIS RESIDENCY. This is huge. HUGE. However, it might feel a little huger if he didn't have at least four more years of training to go. Nevertheless, I am so excited for and proud of all he has learned and achieved over the past three years.
We made it!
Once Gracie and I made it to Bellingham, I took a quick trip back to Boston for Steve's residency graduation dinner. This was also significant as it was the first time Grace was apart from both of us over night. She did great and it was much easier on me than I expected.
The dinner was so much fun - it was the last time I saw the many wonderful friends we made through Steve's program. It was amazing to think of all that has happened in the three years. I remember going to the welcome bbq, with all the new interns, fresh from med school and terrified. They've become such poised and skilled physicians since then, now scattering for new adventures as fellows, attendings or onto other exciting opportunities. They also look like they've aged a lot. Their spouses and partners probably do, too. Over the three years of residency, about a gajillion babies were born, and some of the people who were pregnant at the start of residency are now pregnant again with second or third babies. Many of the kiddos were included in a slideshow and it was just amazing (and emotional) to see how everyone grew and changed and multiplied.
A gang of wives (plus a resident).
I'm so glad I made the trip back for the dinner. It was a long way to travel for 24 hours, but this was a milestone to celebrate. I'm going to miss our friends so much. We went through a lot together at a very exciting and challenging time in our lives.
And here, because otherwise I'll never manage to post them, are some photos of our final weekend in Boston. One of my faves is of Gracie and bff Livia holding hands in the car. Lots of shots of eating donuts in the Public Garden, playing with the only toy left... the broom, and hitting the playground one last time. Oh, Boston, we really miss you (though not the heat), but we can always watch Boston Med.
No comments:
Post a Comment