Friday, August 20, 2010

San Francisco

I think we're getting the hang of this place. I have whined ad nauseam about the fog and living atop a giant hill that makes it tough to walk anywhere, but I'm starting to like it nevertheless. This doesn't meant the whining will end, though.

It has also started to be a bit sunnier. Last Sunday evening Grace and I went to a birthday party near the beach. It was sunny, we had the windows down and the radio up. We were driving through neighborhoods with people of all colors and signs in many languages. The Golden Gate Bridge was over my shoulder, the Marin headlands in the distance and the ocean was shimmering ahead of us. I kept thinking, this is why we moved here.

Wednesday night we went to a new park with some relatives (Hi Greg! Hi James!) and some not exactly related but sort of extended relatives. The older kids ran around, Grace had a wonderful time digging in the sand, and I soaked up some sun and good conversation.

There's a great playground down the street with Gracie-sized equipment, friendly parents, and often dogs to pet. The nearby library has a great playroom for toddlers and loads of board books. We've made new friends and might join a coop pre-preschool. There are charming cafes within walking distance. There are beautiful neighborhoods with old California architecture. We're a ten minute drive from the beach.

We're exploring the city through a one-year-old's eyes, and it's wonderful. We may not be seeing the hipster San Francisco, but we're finding lots to love. We miss Boston like crazy, but I think things will be good here. And I see the sun peeking through the fog.

1 comment: