Thursday, October 27, 2011

While we're on the subject

See this piece from Motherlode (yes I'm still reading; haven't made up my mind about huffpo yet): http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/neglected-children-messy-houses-and-guilt/#more-27643 (sorry can't link because I'm blogging from the bus).

As for the second bullet, I'm decidedly part of the other 29% (and so is Steve). I think the emphasis on tidiness is a little weird and agree wholeheartedly that no study would ever ask that of men (though if it did, wouldn't that be progress?). Perhaps this is not much on my radar, however, because my rockstar husband keeps the apartment clean. He vacuums and sweeps whereas I wouldn't even notice it needed to be done, and he makes sure everything has a place to be kept or it doesn't get kept. Or maybe in less than 800 square feet you just can't have much mess. Either way, Steve, thanks for easing that source of guilt/judgment to leave room for others! For the record, I think my third is not engaging enough in civic life and working for/giving to the causes that matter to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment