Monday, April 23, 2012

Reading lately

2012 has so far been a bit more hectic than planned, but perhaps this is because I've been trying to spend much of it with my nose in a book. I have a problem, but at least I admit it. I've read several notably good books and thought I should share.

Cutting For Stone. I had been eyeing this in bookstores and was thrilled to receive it for Christmas. It was reallllly good. Wonderful writing, terrific characters, and excellent story. The kind of engrossing, epic novel you need in January. The characters were complex and imperfect but you could still love them and be so aggravated at them. Sure, the very end was a wee bit predictable, but a book can be forgiven such a transgression.

The Sea Captain's Wife. Another Christmas book. This one is about the wife of a 19th century sea captain's wife (truth in advertising) who pines to go to sea with her husband, and the adventures that entail when she does. It's a great story, an intriguingly complex relationship between the husband and wife, and interesting history. It's incredible to consider what it was like to be at sea literally for years, to be separated from family and friends, and the incredible danger. A very good read.

Joy For Beginners. You guessed it - also a Christmas gift (we are book people). I must admit I was a little worried about this one. It looked like it might be too wa-wa, midlife crisis, female off to find herself. It wasn't really or if it was, it wasn't annoyingly so and I didn't notice. Anyhow, it told the story of a woman who challenges each of her friends to do something that scares them, and then each chapter describes the women's challenge. It was a really enjoyable read, and now I'm even more obsessed with rafting the Grand Canyon on day.

The Magicians. Another Christmas gift, and another hit. I didn't know anything about it, but the premise was certainly intriguing. It's about a high school student who finds himself a magician accepted to a college of magic. It seemed kind of like Narnia meets Harry Potter and then gets really dark and geared toward an adult audience. I also really liked the writing - delightfully wry. The first of two, I'm looking forward to the second book.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Not a Christmas book! There is nothing I can say that hasn't been said. So good. I avoid mysteries/suspense generally because I'm afraid if I make a habit of reading them I will read nothing else. But can't wait to read the other two.

Maisie Dobbs. Also not a Christmas book. This is the first in a series about a female detective in London following the first World War. It also has an upstairs/downstairs angle, which, since I read it at the time I was finishing season 2 of Downton Abbey, made it especially interesting. The characters and story were charming. Also, the historical aspect was really compelling.

Okay, so this post should have been "Christmas book stack". Steve and I are now reading the HeLa book (Christmas) and next up for me is the second Maisie Dobbs (not Christmas!) just as soon I finish Unfamiliar Fishes (interesting because I picked it up for the author - Sarah Vowell - without even looking to see what it was about, and it turned out to be about early white colonists in Hawaii, something I'd been thinking I should look for).

1 comment:

  1. too funny! These are almost all the books I've been working through since Christmas too! The Magician and Maisie Dobbs are still on hold at the library though, so I'm glad to hear they're worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete