I read this post about having a 3 week old baby (http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/09/any-advice-for-laneyjane/) and then I read all the comments. And I cried and I realized just why Steve's attending was asking him the other day if we have plans for help when baby girl arrives. I have heard the early months are intense, but I think this made me appreciate it more. At the same time, I am glad to read such frank comments so I don't go into it expecting anything but reality. I think I will ask Steve to read it and then we will discuss. Then I'll probably cry again.
Back to writing papers... more cheerful posts to come, probably after the 17th (when my last paper is due). Oh, just as I was about to publish this post, she started wiggling and poking me. Something to smile about for sure.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you two will be wonderful parents and will be able to deal with the sleep deprivation in stride. On a happier note...my friend Nina had a baby Thanksgiving week and she describes here her first days with the baby...hoping this will make you smile! http://ourlittleturkey.blogspot.com/2008_11_01_archive.html
ReplyDeleteI'm loving all of your updates!!
There is no way to get around it, the first 1-2 months will be very intense if you're lucky and outright hell if you aren't. But you work through the physical postpartum pain, no sleep, the nursing, the crying (everyone's)and all the poop and one morning you will go in to get little Smatilda and she will give you the biggest smile and it will be The Coolest Thing Ever.
ReplyDeleteThanks, guys, for the encouragement. Just knowing I can call you up crying helps.
ReplyDeleteOoh, can I come be your helper? If only I could quit my job...At any rate, I second Emm and know that you will be terrific (as well as terrified from time to time).
ReplyDelete