This was the subject of an email I got from the VP of ops at school today. In a way it cracks me up - things must be extreme (or Xtreme to the Jensens) to get such a message. The advice was practical:
Please exercise caution when going outside in the extreme cold. Emergency-management officials suggest that you:
-- Continue to be aware of the weather conditions by monitoring media reports.
-- Minimize outside activities, particularly for the elderly and very young. Also, consider your pets.
-- Dress in several layers of loose-fitting, lightweight clothing, rather than a single layer of heavy clothing. Outer garments should be tightly woven and water repellent. Wear a hat, mittens and sturdy waterproof boots, protecting your extremities. Cover your mouth with a scarf to protect your lungs.
Following these simple rules will help keep you and our facilities safe.
My last 'real feel' check was -2 again. Does this mean I can't go to the post office today? And why does Steve refuse to wear a hat when it feels like it's 34 degrees below freezing outside?
Really, I just needed to post again about how COLD it is because I am obsessed. It's all I can think about. And, I don't have class on Fridays.
Friday, January 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Strangely, it looks like it's as cold in DC as in Boston. I am refusing to go outdoors unless absolutely necessary until the wind chill is back to a positive number (-4 as of an hour ago). I am just hoping we get above freezing for inauguration day! Good luck in Maine this weekend. I am jealous that you might get snow. As long as it's going to be cold, I feel like we should get snow.
ReplyDeleteYou are scaring me with all this freezing weather stuff. I can't believe we'll be actually in it this time next year. Ryan would like me to fly out to Newport next month for quick house hunting trip and to get the lay of the land but I am woefully ill-equipped for winter after 3 + years in SoCal. It does look awfully pretty in your pictures though.
ReplyDeleteUgh it was -9 degrees this morning here in Ann Arbor which is even too x-treme for us Jensens. I like how the report said to "continue to be aware of weather conditions..." and I'm just wondering how would you NOT be aware that you can't feel every limb of your body while walking outside. I guess that's why they tell you to monitor weather conditions via weather reports and not experimentation with bodily limits.
ReplyDelete