Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Open up that golden gate!

It is official! Steve matched to UCSF for his fellowship. We are SO EXCITED.

I was going to make a video of me singing and Gracie waving her arms to my fave Cali song, but I'm sparing you. However, I have been singing it to her all day (and no, I did not technically "start" from California). So you can imagine us, here are the words:

California here I come,
Right back where I started from,
Where bowers of flowers bloom in the sun,
Each morning at dawning
Birdies sing an' ev'rything:
A sun-kiss'd miss said, "don't be late,"
That's why I can hardly wait,
Open up that golden gate,
California here I come
(Al Jolson, B. DeSylva, and Joe Meyer, 1924)

I thought we would agonize endlessly over where we wanted to be, but when he was there for his interview, he emailed me saying "pack your bags, we're moving back to the west coast" and I started crying tears of joy. It was a much easier decision than med school or residency. Probably because the Bay Area is so awesome. In no particular order, reasons we are excited in capital letters:

UCSF is a terrific program. Plus we have hard core UC pride.
We have dear dear family and friends in SF and around the Bay Area.
We are blindly guessing there will be good career opportunities for me (lots of health policy happening in the BA).
San Francisco is a fabulous city.
It's just a 14 hour drive to my parents' and brother's homes and less than eight to each of Steve's parents (read: no more 6 hour, exorbitantly expensive flights; replacing them with modestly expensive flights or all day drives). Gracie will get to know her grandparents!
The Sierras, Yosemite, Mammoth, Big Sur, Tahoe, and lots of NorCal places we haven't been.
Saying hella all the time without embarrassment.
Still being ostracized for our sports loyalties (yes, that means go Dodgers).
The cost of living and excellent economy in Cali.
Mexican food! (Didn't I show great restraint in not putting that first?)

All this is not to say that we are happy about leaving Boston. That, for sure, is bittersweet. We have built a life here and I'm glad we have a whole year to savor it. All the reasons I'll be sad to leave will be another post.

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you are moving back to the West Coast! I am so happy for you guys!! It sucks that you have to leave Boston, but I am sure that you guys will have many adventures in San Francisco!
    Take care,
    Julia Bakken:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I guess I should wait on sending Gracie a Giants hat?!? You'll be across the street from AT&T Park for goodness sakes! We plan on teacher her "right"! Love and hugs, Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting!! (Although I'm a little sad because you'll be farther away and I'm more than a little jealous that you'll be going back to California and the Best Coast and Mexican food.) Big Sur trip v 2.0 should definitely be in the works, though. We will teach Bjorn the art of skiing backwards on one leg while blindfolded in preparation...

    ReplyDelete