While Steve was on paternity leave, we read It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong together. Armstrong is the famous dooce blogger, and this book chronicles her struggles with post partum depression following the birth of her first child. It was a great book to read during the newborn weeks because it is hilarious and it reminds you that you can at once love your child fiercely and be completely overwhelmed and that you're not alone in your ambivalence. I have heard that the book mostly has material that was already on her blog, but since I wasn't reading her blog back when she went through this, it was new to me. It was good to read together, although poor Gracie probably got jolted a bit during feedings while Steve was reading aloud and I was laughing uncontrollably.
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Bookshelf: It Sucked and Then I Cried
While Steve was on paternity leave, we read It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong together. Armstrong is the famous dooce blogger, and this book chronicles her struggles with post partum depression following the birth of her first child. It was a great book to read during the newborn weeks because it is hilarious and it reminds you that you can at once love your child fiercely and be completely overwhelmed and that you're not alone in your ambivalence. I have heard that the book mostly has material that was already on her blog, but since I wasn't reading her blog back when she went through this, it was new to me. It was good to read together, although poor Gracie probably got jolted a bit during feedings while Steve was reading aloud and I was laughing uncontrollably.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I just read dooce's entry about getting dilation measurements and now I'm wishing I hadn't because I was never afraid of that before but now I am...
ReplyDeleteOh well--I probably have bigger problems coming down the pipeline (or birth canal, if you will) if I'm afraid of dilation measurements. Will worry about these in the moment!
Still heart her, though. I think she has overtaken finslippy in my books.