More from the DVD files... but this one to redeem myself. I have been gradually watching the HBO John Adams miniseries. It is fantastic! I learned so much about the American revolution that I didn't really get in school and about John Adams and the whole Adams family. Not the most flattering portrait of George Washington and Alexander Hamilton and very intriguing depiction of the famous friendship between Adams and Thomas Jefferson. One of the episodes showed the newly built white house (in "Washington City" and built by slaves) - surrounded by forest, unfinished and barely furnished. Such a different view from what we see today and hard to even imagine that part of Washington without buildings, streets, cars and bustle. The best part of the series? The relationship between John and Abigail Adams. I'm not sure if I'm in love with Abigail or Laura Linney as Abigail, but she was so wise and humorous and piercingly honest with her husband while being respectful. She and John often called each other "my friend", which I found to speak deeply to the essence of a strong marriage partnership. They seemed so enchanted with one another but also clear-eyed about one another's humanity and failings. They lived much of their life apart and Abigail seems an extraordinary woman. I have had a book of their correspondence on my reading list forever and now I'm even more eager to read it, but that will have to come after my book project... more on that soon. The Adams family home/historic site is on the South Shore and we're going to take a little trip down there sometime soon - I am so excited!
More Gracie news soon - for now a few August pix.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment