Sunday, September 6, 2009

A treatise on diapers

In a word, if it's a word: GRRRR.

More diaper leakage, even after a thorough study of the problem, fit, sizing, and technique. And the leaks have been massive. But only out one side of the diaper and usually when riding in her carseat.

This is bad on many levels - first of all, what idiot cannot properly diaper their child? Me. And my husband. Second, it's a real pain to not know if when you pick up your child, she, her clothes, whatever she was sitting in, and soon you will be covered in poo.

We had a similar problem a while ago and the lovely ladies in my mothers' group said that leaky diapers means to go up a size. Excellent advice as I've since learned that as soon as she starts to have a tiny bit of leakage, I need to order a larger size. Has worked like a charm. So, my last order was for Pampers size 2-3. They are for babies 14-22 lbs and I figured that since Grace was just over 12lbs and unlikely to double in size within the month, we'd be set for a while. The kidlet is barely 14lbs if she's over 14lbs at all. They fit when she was 12-13 lbs, but now there is poop everywhere!

So I finally surrendered and went to CVS to check Pampers' next size up. Size 3 is something like 16-28lbs. That is a range the size of a 3 or 4 month old child! So we'll see how Size 3 goes. They better work because I'm sick of the mess. But I have a WHOLE CASE of size 2-3 (Lisa's lucky day!). That's about $50 worth of diapers!

Any tips from those of you with experience? Should I switch to Huggies? Start using duct tape?

Grr. Grr. Grr.

6 comments:

  1. Try a different brand. Pampers never fit Mei right, she was huggies girl. In a couple months when Grace starts taking a little bit of solid food, the poop will be less runny and won't leak *quite* as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still have bjorn in his "N" (newborn) diapers and we think that's why he is hating on us so much...but kids got to learn not to be wasteful! Also--he only super poops every 2-3 days; which makes me believe he is storing it up for our first plane ride so that we have a "fun story" to tell.

    Good luck on your diaper clinical trial. Sell the others on Craigslist?...just promise me you won't meet anyone in a dark alley to barter diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! We had Huggies at first, then switched to Pampers b/c we liked them in the hospital, but I had been thinking of switching back. Ugh. The stuff you never realize you'll spend loads of time talking and thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will pay Bjorn to give you a good story on your first flight. I need it for the solidarity. I cannot be the only diapering idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've used Target Brand & sometimes Huggies because they're the only ones that don't have a scent. Are you pulling the edges of the diaper out on the sides? That helps contain leaks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...well. we just upped Bjorn to size 1 but Lars discovered a "secret stash" of N diapers in our diaper bag. Being the waste-not; want-not that he is, he decided to try and "use them up". I was like, dude--this is not a good idea. He was already too big for them when we switched him over to 1's. Anyway...he put an N diaper on him last night and Bjorn somehow managed to pee all over himself at some point during the night. How on earth does he get pee on his shoulder? Awww...the mysteries of baby boys and their too small diapers.

    ReplyDelete