In other news
Henry is now just over five weeks old. He's starting to look less newborny and more like a baby. He has a cute bald patch where his head has grown but his hair hasn't caught up. As of yesterday at the doctor, he's 10 lbs, 7 oz. and 22.5 inches. Tall guy. He's still a total cuddle-kins. He has the sweetest coos. He slept 7 hours one night, and 8 hours the next, and then regressed big time. We will get there. His facial expressions are hilarious - he makes these wonderful, scrunchy frowns. This morning when I got him up to feed him, he gave me some big smiles. Melt.
Grace is so proud to be four years old. It is amazing to look at Henry and realize how much she is capable of. She does so many things independently and is so pleased with what she can do herself. I am glad we spent some time working on mastery of dressing and grooming before he was born. She helps set the table, clears her place, helps with various other chores, gets herself in and out of her carseat (granted, she doesn't do all this herself all the time - exhaustion, hunger and plain old power struggles get in the way). She knows that when a video doesn't start right away, it's "buffering". She knows to ask me to write to someone's mom when she wants a playdate (we're still working on patience until they respond). There are all kinds of other things she can do to, but the gist is just how incredible it is to see how much she can do. I especially love to get her talking about her days at school. She often won't share much, but when she does, it's so intriguing to hear her interpretation of things and learn about a part of her world that we don't really share.
We have begun to use the word "badgering" to describe the repeated whiny request for/to do something that has already been denied. The other night, we were having a dance party, and she wanted to hold my phone while dancing but I kept asking her to set it down so we could all hear the music. After repeatedly asking her to put it on the table, she looked at me, put her hand up and said "That's badgering!" Steve was behind her and busted up, of course, and I had to try not to while explaining that it actually wasn't, at least not in spirit. She has pulled this one again since.
She has just two more days at her preschool, and I worry about much she will miss her friends. That's the hardest part of the move - knowing how it's going to be difficult for her. We have been talking a lot about her old friends in Boston, and I think it's very reassuring to her. I also found out that since her new school will still be in session when we get to Boston, we can take her for a tour. I think it will good for her to have an idea of what to expect. I know kids make friends easily, but I'm nervous for her. Just like Steve and me, she tends to be a little hesitant in new situations and isn't the most naturally outgoing (I've tried to work on this as an adult, and it really seems to be true most of the time that others appreciate friendly overtures as much as I do; fake it till you make it!). When she's comfortable, she's entirely different and she's very social and a natural leader (some might say bossy). Sometimes when unfamiliar children approach her at a park or anywhere, she gets really uncomfortable and wants to be left alone. Last week some girls at church asked her to play with them on the lawn after mass, and she wouldn't even talk to them.
So, anyway, my point here - we stopped at a playground yesterday, and she saw some girls about her age. She told me she wanted to ask if she could play with them. She wanted me to come with her, so I parked Henry in the shade and told her I could go with her to stand nearby, but I couldn't talk for her. We practiced what she would say "Hi, I'm Grace. What's your name? Can I play with you?" She hung back a bit, waiting for them to notice her, but finally summoned her nerve (and sufficient volume after a few soft tries) to talk to one of the girls. And you know what?! The girl said "yes!" and they happily chatted and jumped around for a while till we had to leave. I was so, so proud of her. I know she was really out of her comfort zone, but she did it. She proudly told Steve at dinner what you say to introduce yourself and make new friends. She's so social that she will go berserk without a good network of friends for the summer (and I will shortly go nuts as well). I hope she can grow her confidence to make new friends and help with starting a new school. Of course, I know she will be fine with a little time. Kids start new schools all the time (I remember starting elementary school and not knowing anyone in first grade while most of the kids had gone to kindergarten together, but still remember thinking it weird that some kids were crying). I'm just aware that this is something that makes her nervous and am pleased to see her building new skills.
We have just over two weeks in San Francisco. My dad is here to help us finish packing everything for shipping. The weekend will be spent plying friends and family with beer and pizza. Then, we will be living out of suitcases and sleeping on air mattresses with our camping cookware for two weeks. We have a trip to LA planned and family time in Pleasanton plus final get togethers friends. Steve's graduation is coming up. I'm hoping to get in one more hike as well as a final stop at In-n-Out. Then we board our plane with one-way tickets.
See you on the east side!
Sometimes I think Grace and Lucy are the same kid, separated by 2 years. It is crazy how similar they are. Love you and can't wait to see you on the East Coast!
ReplyDelete