Thursday, May 9, 2013

Double the kids, double the fun

Well, we're making them share right off the bat (the room-sharing thing is also going reasonably well, but that's another story, another post).  Although he's very young for it, we wanted Henry to be baptized here to avoid travel issues for his godparents (his Great Aunt Joan and Great Uncle Greg and dear friend Ashley) and to include as many other family members and friends as possible.  So we decided to schedule it to coincide with Grace's birthday party so we could have one celebration of both events.  I was a little worried about throwing a party just three weeks after his due date, but thanks to my amazing mother who cooked up a storm and my incredible extended family who jumped in to handle the set up and lots of other little details, it seemed to go off without a hitch.  I wouldn't know if there were hitches because I was doing what I do all the time these days - nursing Henry.  

Some photos from the blessed and joyous day:

With the godparents.

With Father Dan.  I love this picture for the expression on Steve's face.  No doubt how much he loves his son.

The rite.

With Fr. Dan and godparents.

Godparents and grandparents (GoGo - my mom, and Grandpa - Steve's dad).

All the baptism guests.  It was so special to have them all with us!

Could they possibly be related?  
Or perhaps, I should say Sesame Street-style, which of these four is not related?

Grace was ready for some birthday party - showing Fr. Dan how old she would be.

Quesadillas and juice boxes with buddy Finn.

A swing and a... we'll just say that the three and four year olds did much better than last year, but it was Elijah who came through to empty that piƱata.

Candy!


Trading and negotiation.  This is Harmony, one of Grace's best friends right now.  I can't tell you how often Grace says "Harmony, I mean, Mommy" or "Harmony, I mean, Daddy" when talking to us.  Harmony is Parisian, though, so I will assume Grace just thinks I'm super sophisticated and stylish so it's an easy mix-up.

Our time in SF wouldn't have been the same without the love from our extended family who have made us so welcome.  They are also the work crew that made the party happen!  Sorry I don't have a better picture of my mom - she should be in this one, too.

Ready, set, blow!
Grace was very specific about wanting a chocolate cake with big pink flowers and a number four candle.  She was extremely excited about going with me to pick it up (nope, I didn't bake from scratch this year and I'm not feeling bad about it.  Costco cakes may be just as good as the Magnolia Bakery recipe... I know, blasphemy!).

And then she didn't eat any of the cake.  But my goodness, look at that sweet, big girl!

Trying out a few presents - the fairy drummer.  Thanks, Ashley, for giving my four-year-old a drum set.  What goes around comes around, you know...

It was a wonderful day filled with friends and family.  I've said it dozens of times here, but something this important cannot be said enough - we are so blessed by our community here and will miss them desperately.  At mass on Sunday, I  started a silent prayer of thanks for all the people that love my children and promptly burst into tears (we are into the crying stage of move prep - even traffic makes me cry because it's California traffic - needs to be said with a wail).  Grace asked why I was crying and then gave me a hug, saying "Don't worry, Mama, we can visit them."  

My baby girl is officially four as of yesterday.  FOUR!  I cannot believe we've been at this parenting gig that long (especially since just last night I was saying to Steve how I think we're failing her - the issue was whether or not to acquiesce to her desire to sleep with us because she's been having nightmares and is afraid to close her eyes... will she be securely attached since we said no?  I digress...).  She is so full of energy and also so compassionate.  She is testing limits daily (hourly) and trying to learn everything she can about the world.  One of my favorite things she does right now is ask what new words mean whenever she hears them.  She loves to sing and dance (non-stop), loves to draw, to play school or restaurant (though the restaurants are often out of what we order), and to do puzzles and play actual games (board games, memory, etc.).  She loves princesses and fairies and playing outside, playing with sand and riding bikes and scooters.  She loves her friends, school, music class and kindergym (both part of the school programs).  Cheese pizza is her favorite dinner, but she also loves artichokes, tomatoes, taquitos, quesadillas, berries, lollipops, and strawberry ice cream.  She is a loving big sister, always saying "Oh, don't cry sweetie baby," when Henry cries.  We have certainly had some intensely emotional times lately as she checks to see if limits and rules are the same with all the changes at home and move preparation, but it continues to be a joy to be her parents.  Even after some of the worst fits, Steve and I shake our heads and comment how wonderful and compassionate and sensitive she is.   Baby girl, we love you so much, always, no matter what.  

Well, this post has strayed from here to there and back... thanks for sticking with me.

1 comment:

  1. How do you look so amazing so soon after giving birth?! You are beautiful, my friend.

    That picture of Steve looking at Henry and your comments about it, as well as crying about moving, made me cry. (Although truth be told there are a lot of hormones going on here as well.)

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete