Monday, February 15, 2010

Bookshelf: That Old Cape Magic

That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo was a good, fast read. And that's saying a lot given that there is not loads of time for reading right now. I loved his Empire Falls and Bridge of Sighs so was very excited to see that he had a new novel. This was neither as ambitious nor as profound. Those two books were epic and this was much lighter. Like all the Russo I've read, the protagonist, Griffin, is a middle aged man struggling with a number of issues - his relationship with wacky parents, his accomplishments relative to his dreams, and marital issues. I'm realizing that doesn't sound very appealing, but the book was good and I liked the characters (although wanted to shake Griffin the whole time). Writing this makes me think that perhaps Russo is a male Anne Tyler... similar themes, locations, yet still very different tales each time. And they've both won a pulitzer.

No comments:

Post a Comment