Friday, February 26, 2010

Grace's ark

Thanks to Megan for coining the apt title of this post.

You may have heard that the northeast got another giant storm. Although there was lots of snow south of us, we have been hammered by rain and wind. I have never heard wind like we had last night. Anyway, I had noticed some water on the window sills in the Grace's room (alcove). Steve was checking it out as we were getting ready to put Grace to bed last night when I noticed that I was getting wet. There was water coming from the ceiling and through the window frames. We moved the crib into the living room and I called the landlady, who assured me she would "take care of it."

Well, this morning I noticed that the floor was wet and some of the flooring is coming up. I called my landlady again, who said "Don't worry. We'll take care of it." So I talked to the building manager and he gave me a different impression, which is that all the enclosed balconies have leak problems and people think they're supposed to be used as living space, but they aren't. Still no word from the landlady who is going to "take care of it." So, we're going to have to move all Grace furniture out of there and rearrange the living room for who knows how long. Plus, with the floor boards coming up, I don't really think Grace should be scooting over there so we have another childproofing dilemma.

I'm just so so aggravated. Of course, I'm glad we have a place to live that is mostly dry, but I'm so annoyed that landlady hasn't come by and doesn't really have a plan other than hoping the building manager will tell her it's because of the sealant in the condo above ours so she can get them to pay. We don't think this will happen, so we're going to have to wait while she fiddles around. Moral of the story: we'll not be buying when we move to SF because then you're on the hook for these things. Other moral: too bad we can't buy so we can be in charge when things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment