Monday, February 8, 2010

Nine months old

The ninth month had some ups and downs... we were all leveled by RSV, making Grace was pretty unhappy for a while. Since getting better, though, she has been an absolute delight. She's not crawling, but has started scooting pretty proficiently with one leg to the side and one beneath her. Evidence:

Shortly after we took this video last night, she scooted over to the coffee table and pulled up on it without help for the first time. A few hours later, I set her down outside the kitchen while I did dishes and she scooted over to her stroller to touch the (dirty) wheels. I tried to redirect her with some toys, but she turned right around and scooted back over to the stroller. So I brought her into the kitchen and tried to show her the tupperware drawer, but instead she headed over to the colanders to pull them off the shelves and then pulled herself up on the open shelves, succeeding for the first time. She was doing well for a while, but she sometimes forgets that she can't walk and lets go while moving... I caught her, but I'm trying to find the line between letting her fall so she realizes she needs to practice balancing without letting her get hurt too badly. A while later, she was scooting around and faceplanted, ending up with a bloody nose. Sigh. I'm so excited because she really enjoys getting around and exploring. And I know some scrapes and bumps are inevitable, but how many times a day can she hit her head before it becomes a problem?

When she's not sick, Grace seems to have two moods - joyful and happy, and the opposite. She's been sleeping great lately, except that she likes to wake up between 5 and 6am. We're working
on convincing her not to wake up before 6, but we take steps forward and back on this one. I've been trying to tell her that it's just uncivilized to be up before 6 unless you're catching a plane or going skiing.

Solid foods are going okay. Gracie loves eating cereal puffs and yogurt drops now that she has perfected her pincer grasp, and she grabbed bread out of Steve's hand the other day, but didn't really know what to do with it since she doesn't have teeth (!). She also loves drinking out of our glasses and using her cup with a straw. She's still struggling with holding her sippy cup at the right angle to actually get anything out.

I think one of the most notable changes lately is how much things seem to be clicking for Grace. She responds to her name, babbles constantly, finds new sounds
and syllables (tho dadadadada remains her favorite), and really seems to pay attention to what you say to her. She is just so curious - diving and climbing and trying to explore. One of my favorite Gracie habits right now is that she'll pat you on the back or shoulder while you're holding her. She'll also make laughing sounds and shouts of glee as if trying to get your attention. And she gives the best hugs - wraps her little arms around your neck and buries her head in your neck. I am such a giant sap, but I was listening to the Mamma Mia soundtrack while watching Gracie play the other night and crying a little as Slipping Through My Fingers played. How did she get to be nine months old?!


More recent pictures here.

1 comment:

  1. Go, Gracie, Go! She looks so deliberate in her scooting.

    On a side note, do you think we will socially stunt our babies if we make them go around with foam helmets on their heads in public?

    ReplyDelete