Friday, April 16, 2010

Bookshelf: The Stories of Eva Luna

Oh, my. Isabel Allende is my new Wallace Stegner. I will swoon at her name and ration her books. The second of her works I've read in the past few months, The Stories of Eva Luna was amazing.

Not counting Anna Karenina (which I will one day finish) I may have set a personal record for how long it took me to read this. However, it was simply fabulous. I have gone on about the wonders of truly good short stories here before, so I won't do it again, but this collection of stories was rich, beautifully written and deeply moving. The stories covered many times, places, and perspectives. Some were joyous, some were melancholy, some mystical, some heartbreaking. I have not read her novel Eva Luna, but obviously I will now have to. Ahh. Maybe it took so long to read because I couldn't bear to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment