The other fun blog I discovered is The Diamond in the Window, which is about reading and children's books. Seeing as how I'm nuts about both and possibly became a parent just so I could read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to someone, this blog seems pretty cool. The best days are those spent reading so that when you rouse yourself for dinner you're slightly disoriented after having spent all afternoon immersed in another world. Those days happened most often when I was a kid, reading all those great yalit novels. So reading about kids' books and daydreaming about spending all day reading is perhaps the closest thing for now.
Oh, to think of all the books I can't wait to share with Grace. Here are just a few:
- Obv, the Little House books (yes, including Farmer Boy) and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (didn't read this until college)
- The Yearling (which I read for the first time within the last year)
- The Harry Potter books
- Locked In Time
- To Kill A Mockingbird
- The Secret Garden
- The Princess and the Goblin
- I Capture the Castle
This is a short list because I want to start my Eudora Welty (never read her!) novel. But please add your favorites and suggestions in the comments! God-willing, Grace won't turn out to hate reading.
The way Grace is "devouring" books now, I doubt seriously that she will be a book hater! And besides that....we just wouldn't allow it!
ReplyDeletethats awesome! love it! i love that there is a scanned copy of the book on that blog! :) great post! miss you guys.
ReplyDeletecannot believe you didn't mention the golden compass series!
ReplyDeleteThat's why I asked for other ideas! You know how your mind goes blank when you want to remember something? I almost forgot the Secret Garden...
ReplyDeleteTwo of my favorites from girl hood: Anne of Green Gables (just started this one with Mei) and The Little Princess. Mei read Trumpet of the Swan and Charlotte's Web by herself over the summer and LOVED them.
ReplyDeleteI second Golden Compass and Anne of Green Gables series'. And add Roald Dahl to the list. James and the Giant Peach! Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! Matilda!
ReplyDeleteOh Roald Dahl. The Witches! The BFG!
ReplyDeleteDespite the obvious irony, I loved "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret" and all the Beverly Cleary novels...
ReplyDeleteLove the "Little House" books. We're about half way through the series and Audrey says she wants a "Little House" bday party so we'll be sure to do some cooking from it! I just discovered a fantastic children's book series, that I'd never heard of. We just read "Freddy and the Perilous adventure." It was so witty, I loved it, and Audrey kept begging for more. Apparently the author wrote 26 of these books, so we're pretty thrilled!
ReplyDeleteOh, Audrey. A girl after my own heart! Can't wait to read about her birthday party.
ReplyDelete