Another weekend of exploring and adventuring. Saturday was foggy and chilly, but we started by taking the Muni downtown and walking through Union Square to Chinatown.
At the Dragon Gates in the "official" Chinatown.
We then hiked up Telegraph Hill via the steps on Filbert (whew) to Coit Tower. It was beautiful, but we'll have to go back on a clear day and actually go to the top of the tower. We wandered around, saw the wild parrots, and enjoyed the view.
View of Alcatraz.
The view from Telegraph Hill, Bay Bridge in the background.
Then, we started down the steps on the other side. Yikes. Grace was mid-tantrum, wanting to walk without holding hands. It was a loooong walk down, alternating between carrying her and her attempting to walk but being all jelly-legs so she kept sliding. To give you an idea of how many steps we're talking about, when we were about 90% of the way down, we passed a kid counting the steps on his way up. I think he was at 120 or so. Yes, I know this would mean there are a thousand steps. It wouldn't surprise me. I'm very glad we weren't going up that way, especially with the stroller. We finally made it down, squirmy, shrieky toddler and all (bless the woman who tickled Grace and said "I remember those days"). Naturally, we had to watch The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill that night (yay Netflix instant queue). It was interesting and fun to see all the places we had just been, but I think I had heard it was a fantastic documentary. It wasn't really.
Anyway, we toured through the farmer's market at the Ferry Building, then walked up Market Street and over to Yerba Buena Gardens. The sun had come out and Grace, post a little snooze, was in fine form again to check out the Play Circle.
On Sunday, we headed over to the Presidio. We took the Coastal Trail to Land's End and the beach below. It was spectacularly beautiful, but sadly the view back toward the bridge and Marin was washed out. I still took a gajillion pictures of the bridge (see obsession), but am only subjecting you to one or two. It was steep, steep, steep and kudos to Steve for carrying Grace in the backpack. Grace yelled in his ear about every dog we saw (there were many), usually repeating her cries of "daaaah dah" again and again. It must have made us look very friendly because some Swiss tourists stopped us to borrow our "sun cream". Can't really blame them for thinking they wouldn't need it. After naps, we popped down to the CAS to see the shiiifff! and wander through GG park. We neglected to take any pictures, but man oh man has the weather been fabulous.
Sadly, Steve had to work on Labor Day. But Grace and I took a lovely walk in the nature preserve and spent some quality time in the sun at the playground and read lots of books and played with her first fort.
No comments:
Post a Comment