Monday, July 27, 2009

California Dreamin'

The Beach Boys played a concert at the river on Saturday night so of course we had to go (they did this the first summer we lived here also and it was a blast). I admit I was a little worried about screwing up Gracie's evening routine since it has been going so well, but we cannot live in fear, right? Well, she was a champ. Of course, she stayed awake the entire time, but went to sleep no problem when we got home. We shouldn't have been surprised she stayed awake - baby girl loves music.

The Esplanade was jammed and Grace (in the moby) and I almost got in a fight. Well, not really, but I did try to instigate! Some jerk was trying barrel through the crowd (I hate when people do that in a crowd - we're all trying to move, but it's packed; you're not special, jerk). I was starting to tell him just that, thinking Gracie in her carrier and mean ballerina shirt would intimidate, when a security guard grabbed him by the shirt and told him, approximately, to cool it. He didn't but at least he quit yelling and just stuck with the shoving. Grrr.

Anyway - had a great picnic, people watched, gorgeous sunset over Cambridge, and they played all the goodies - Surfin' Safari, California Girls, California Dreamin', and Kokomo. I used to listen to my parents' BB records ENDLESSLY and had a dance for every song. Fave line? Of course, 'and the Northern girls, with the way they kiss, they keep their boyfriends warm at night!' although I found the words extremely embarrassing at 9 years old. My first concert was the Beach Boys with my dad at the Puyallup Fair (five points if you can pronounce that and you aren't from WA) when I was 9 or 10. We explained to Grace that, come February, "California Dreamin' on such a winter's day!" would become the family anthem...

No comments:

Post a Comment