Wow, I didn't really mean to let the blog wither for so long. But, now I do understand how blogs die. Once you're out of the habit, it gets harder to get back to it. However, I'm not ready to let it go - especially since I'm constantly writing posts in my head. I guess I've just been distracted... something about pregnancy, getting ready for a cross-country move, preschool transitions, our good weather season, pregnancy and getting ready to move, wrapping up work, figuring out the plan for work next year, making childcare arrangements long distance, finding an apartment long distance, pregnancy, and just plain old wanting to hang out with my two favorite people in all our spare moments plus spending lots of time with friends and family and here we are, a couple months later. Did I mention pregnancy and moving?
I can't really recap it all... but I'm going to try to do a few posts to catch up on some highlights before baby boy comes and torpedoes my blogging for a while. But only a while!
Baby boy is due on Friday. He is showing no signs of an early or even on-time arrival. It kinda seemed like he had "dropped" last week, but after waking up repeatedly last night pretty sure he was trying to sit on my ribs, I think he has moved back up. The doctor said last week that we would talk induction at this week's appointment. He mentioned something about 42 weeks. You can guess how I responded. He said maybe as soon as 40 weeks and 5 or 6 days (basically the same as 41 weeks in my book). We wait.
I stopped working two weeks ago (I never understood why people took time off work before their due dates, but the way disability benefits work in California, this is actually to my advantage - I can't tack the time on at the end anyway). This coincided nicely with Grace's spring break from school (I plan to post separately on that). Since Grace returned to school, I have spent my time alternating between doing move prep, cleaning, and actually resting. For a while I was feeling pretty awful - contractions and pain anytime, but I guess I've rested up good because other than being tired, I'm feeling a little more like a functioning person again.
So, the move! I was all set to buy our one-way tickets to Boston last week when I discovered that even "lap infants" have to have birth dates. I tried to trick Expedia, but it didn't work. We will be on the plane no later than June 12, arriving in our empty apartment a few days ahead of our belongings (read: comfortable mattresses). Oh, and we found an apartment! I fortuitously called the company the building we wanted about another apartment, and accidentally found out there was one exactly where we wanted to be. Of course, I was walking into a meeting and couldn't actually do the necessary steps but thanks to texting, Steve handled it all and were approved by the time my meeting finished. The view will not be lovely (no 180 degree panorama of the downtown skyline this time), but we're in the neighborhood we want and Steve will have an easy commute, which will be essential when he is working ridiculous hours again. Although the price has us gasping, it's an investment in him hopefully seeing his kids for at least 10 minutes a day.
Around the time we got the apartment we also found out that baby boy got into Grace's old daycare starting in September. And, I got everything finalized at work such that I will telecommute 70% time starting in September to my job in San Francisco. That arrangement will last as long as there's meaningful work I can do long distance. I'm optimistic, having done the cross-country telecommuting thing before, but we will see how it goes. I'm really relieved they were willing to give it a try because I dread the thought of searching for a job, convincing a new boss that despite the frequency of my children getting sick I will still get my work done, and just generally starting over. Plus, part-time will make our family life far more manageable. And, I like my job and really didn't want to leave it. We have been feeling pretty lucky about everything coming together.
Okay, this is getting long so I will post a few pictures of some highlights over the past few months.
Junior Engineer Day at the Randall Museum (kids get to drive the model trains).
Hike up the 16th Avenue tiled steps while Pop was visiting. And I say hike because you get to the top and discover more and more steps before getting to the little park.
Doctor Grace.
Presidio Bowl... three and four year olds bowling is kind of hilarious. She is at least better than I am.
Group strategy session.
Grace and Amelia, the birthday girl.
Bike ride at Land's End. I should note that these were taken the same weekend as the giant blizzard hit the east coast. Hard to believe we are willingly (sort of) exchanging this for New England winters.
Fun day in Golden Gate Park with Gavin and Natalie. Grace and Gavin got on so well - I hate that we have hardly seen them the past few months.
Note that they are barefoot! In February!
Last spring, Steve's co-fellows gifted him with a harbor brunch cruise as a thank you for being chief last year. Summer is a terrible time to be on the water here, so we finally used it in February for their Valentine's Day brunch. We got lucky with a gorgeous, though very windy, day. It was really fun and the food was unexpectedly good.
My two Valentines.
Wind!
Dance time!
We got lucky and actually got to cruise under the bridge.
At least she can get him to dance.
Oh, and the other big news - I finally chopped off my hair. I had been meaning to FOREVER, but then I realized it was getting long enough to donate so I stuck with it. Grace and I spent a lovely morning both getting haircuts - she got to go to a salon and everything (the days of me cutting her hair are OVER). Whew, I feel like myself again. And, I think it accounted for some of my pregnancy weight gain - I haven't been gaining at such a fast rate since chopping it off.
No comments:
Post a Comment