Thursday, April 11, 2013

Baby shower

Having a baby shower had not even crossed my mind so when I learned that Aunt Kristie and my cousin Katy wanted to throw one, I was completely surprised and delighted.  We picked a date in March, and they threw the loveliest party.  Grace came along and was honored as the big sister-to-be.

Kristie and Katy prepared a wonderful lunch and had the yummiest mini-cakes for dessert (I can't recall what they were called, but they were soooo good).  It was a beautiful day, and we sat outside on Kristie's and Hilary's fabulous patio.  Like us, a number of the guests live in tiny city apartments with no outdoor space, and I think all of us were in awe and said what I always feel when I'm there "can I move in?"

It was so fun to have guests from so many different phases of life - aunts, cousins from both sides of my family, college friends, neighbors, and other friends from various phases and stages.  Most of them have children, so it was also fun to compare stories (at my shower for Grace very few of the guests had kids - it was a different life stage).  Thank you to Aunt Joan for taking the photos!

 The hostesses with the mostest! 



This isn't terribly flattering of Jane or me, but I think it's kind of funny. 

 The spread.

The gifts.  So many people say boy clothes aren't as cute as girl clothes.  There may not be as much variety, but the clothes are wicked cute (hi, Massachusetts). 

Right? 

Grace was quite "showered" with big sister gifts as well. 

This "skateboard" was kind of for her, too - it will allow her to ride along with the stroller. 
 Isn't this the best twist on the traditional diaper cake?


It might be an awkward picture of Ashley's chin, but it's so cute of Maya I had to include it.

I don't think this picture needs any explanation.


This is part of the doll quilt that Aunt Kristie made for Grace.  It coordinates with the amazingly beautiful quilt she made for baby boy (but i don't have a photo).  She also made a wonderful quilt for Grace as a baby.  They are such special keepsakes.

Almost a group shot.

Grace had a fabulous time.  I barely saw her, in fact - she is always so delighted to see her "cousins" and (great-) aunts and Ashley S. (we have two friends named Ashley, both pedis but different specialties; they even drive the same car, so it's hard to distinguish them clearly).  Then, Hilary and Scott came in and she had a whole new audience/entourage.  Grace is really interested in family relationships and who is who - we have the most entertaining conversations as she tries to sort through everyone.  I'm sure it doesn't help that we use the term family rather loosely and it often encompasses people who aren't technically related to us.
Grace, Amanda, Joan and I lingered for a while after the guests had gone and finally had to drag ourselves home (I think it's not polite to spend the night if it's not a slumber party?).  I spent the whole drive ruminating on how hard it will be to leave - the community we have here is so special.  And the sun in March.  And the breathtaking view of the city as you head over the Bay Bridge.  That's another post entirely.  So before I get too emotional, I will just say

THANK YOU, KRISTIE AND KATY!  You made Grace and me feel so special and loved.  Well, and there are the tears I was trying to avoid, just about falling on my keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment