I pleaded with my doctor to tell me when the baby would come, but she pretty much just laughed at me. She also acknowledged that it's much harder when you already have a child/children whose needs you must plan for. And they also make you that much more exhausted.
If you had asked me a week ago, I would have predicted that the baby would come on April 9. Good thing I didn't put money on it. I bumped into an anesthesiologist acquaintance yesterday and he said "a few more days, right?" Oddly, he has been the best at guessing how far I am from my due date whenever I see him (you'd think this is because anesthesiologists see a lot of pregnant ladies, but he works at the VA so I'm not sure why he's so eerily accurate). Anyway, he said it would be today. I told him I would hold him to it. Steve is predicting over the weekend, which I'm sure will retrospectively include Friday and Monday if baby boy comes one of those days.
I'm very physically ready not to be pregnant. I'm also acutely aware of how challenging newborns are. So small, but so demanding and exhausting. So I'm trying to savor this time, but I also just want it to happen already. In all likelihood, I won't be pregnant again and I'm not feeling wistful. Maybe I will in hindsight, but certainly not right now. I went to the grocery store and bought food that you can't eat when you're pregnant - sushi, alcohol, caffeine and soft cheese, we are destined for great things! I'm sick of my maternity clothes, especially now that so many of them don't cover my belly. I want to sleep on my stomach. I want abdominal muscles. I don't want to be an object of alarmed looks everywhere I go. However, I do enjoy the look on guys' faces when they start to check you out, and then see the belly and get a horrified look of fear and disgust. At least that gives me a snicker.
I'm also eager to meet our baby boy.
And I'm tired of worrying about how long my labor will be (could be half as long as last time and still be reallllllly long).
No comments:
Post a Comment