It turns out that I have collected some excellent books and failed to read them for years. The latest is Isabel Allende's Portrait in Sepia. It is an amazing tale of multiple generations of a Chilean family, starting in San Francisco in the mid-1800s and continuing with their return to Chile, ending in 1910 near Santiago. Told in three parts, the first from a different perspective than the heroine, the first part reminded me of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's work. Set against historic events in California and then in Chile, it's utterly engrossing with fabulous characters and beautiful writing. Normally, if I see a paragraph that goes on for more than a page, I confess that I shudder a little and skim, but Isabel Allende could get away with anything in this book. I think this might be the first of her many books that I have read, but likely will not be the last.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Bookshelf: Portait in Sepia
It turns out that I have collected some excellent books and failed to read them for years. The latest is Isabel Allende's Portrait in Sepia. It is an amazing tale of multiple generations of a Chilean family, starting in San Francisco in the mid-1800s and continuing with their return to Chile, ending in 1910 near Santiago. Told in three parts, the first from a different perspective than the heroine, the first part reminded me of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's work. Set against historic events in California and then in Chile, it's utterly engrossing with fabulous characters and beautiful writing. Normally, if I see a paragraph that goes on for more than a page, I confess that I shudder a little and skim, but Isabel Allende could get away with anything in this book. I think this might be the first of her many books that I have read, but likely will not be the last.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment