Saturday, April 18, 2009

Spring!

Has sprung. Steve had yesterday off so I ditched my cramming and we had the loveliest time. Thursday night we walked over to the waterfront for date at Legal Sea Foods. It was fun to see the tourists out in force at Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall. Then, yesterday we headed over to the Back Bay to check out the blooming magnolia trees on Comm Ave and had lunch outside on Newbury St. Oh, the people watching! Headed back through the Public Garden and sat by the pond for a while. I think everyone in New England was there - the park was teeming with strollers and kidlets and college kids and downtown workers on their lunch break and elderly folks and joggers and couples. It couldn't have been nicer. Headed home for an extremely lazy afternoon of napping and non-compulsory reading. I'm not sure spring makes up for winter, but it goes a long way toward making you forget.

Incidentally, while we were walking a lady yelled from the sidewalk "let me guess - 7 months!". Not quite, but thanks! I haven't had the experience of strangers touching my belly, but I've gotten some odd other comments. A gentleman at Starbucks the other day finished putting cream in his coffee and then ominously muttered "good luck" as he walked away. And a few weeks ago in the Costco parking lot, I came around the car and a young man jumped (literally) back about five feet and said "You're pregnant! God bless you!". Mostly it's well-intentioned, I know, but what is it about pregnancy that makes people feel like you are a public object open for comment?

No comments:

Post a Comment